In human society and its environment (HSIE), the subjects of history and geography are mandatory from Kindergarten to Year 10, where students study specific historical and geographical concepts and skills.
In HSIE, students explore varied subjects in human society and its environment to learn about history, geography, people, societies and culture.
Students also have an opportunity to learn more about people and the societies and environments in which they live through elective subjects.
A large number of individual subjects make up the key learning area of HSIE in which students:
- research, gather and analyse information
- question and make judgements
- write for a variety of purposes.
Resources for students
- Mystery matters - A series of online learning games for students in years 4-10.
- National museum - Interactive resources covering Australian history from the National Museum of Australia.
- The navigators - Information about the early explorers of Australia.
- Rainforest explorer - Discover Australia's wet tropics.
- History of Australia - The State Library of NSW's "From Terra Australis to Australia" covers the early years, after the arrival of the First Fleet.