English study is mandatory in NSW from Kindergarten to Year 12.
Students learn about the English language through written, spoken and visual texts of increasing complexity as they progress through their schooling.
An understanding of the English language is central to how we communicate and essential for intellectual, social and emotional development.
The study of English should develop a love of literature and learning and be challenging and enjoyable. It develops skills to enable students to experiment with ideas and expression, to become active, independent and lifelong learners, to work with each other and to reflect on their learning.
English resources for students
- Reading eggs - Literacy program used across the school.
- Starfall - Learning to read with phonics.
- Spin and spell - Spelling game.
- Learn english kids - Online games, stories, songs activities to learn English.
- Alphabet soup - A spelling game.
- Crickweb - K-2 interactive literacy resources.
- Storyline online - Well known actors reading children's books aloud.
Resources for parents & teachers
- Speech topics for children - Help your child find a stimulating, interesting speech topic.
- Mem fox - for parents - Reading information for parents.
- Premier's debating - The 2014 NSW Premier's debating challenge.
- Premier's reading challenge - The 2014 NSW Premier's reading challenge.
- Premier's spelling bee - The 2014 NSW Premier's spelling bee.